Essay on Student Life

Student Life

Student Life refers to the part of life that a student spends studying in schools, colleges and universities. Like all other phases of life, student life has its own peculiar joys and sorrows, its own responsibilities and worries.

Responsible: A student carries immense responsibilities on his shoulders. At first sight, he seems to have a free and easy time, because he is not called upon to earn. The students have to depend on their guardians. Students know how hard it is for the guardians to pay for their educational expenses, and no wonder many of them have to combine earning with learning.

His parents pays his fees, purchases books and makes other expenses. He knows, however, that very soon he will have to face the problems of life, that he will not merely maintain himself but also look after others. He has to educate himself and be a man amongst men.

Also, the future development of the nation entire depends upon the young lot of today. Understanding their responsibility, they work hard to become educated citizens of tomorrow.

Examinations: There are so many examinations we have to sit for – periodical, terminal, annual, test and final, to name only the most important ones amongst them. Examinations are probably a good training; many of us would possibly neglect our studies if there were no examination.

Worry about Future: The problem is particularly acute in India where the scope for employment is very limited. The student looks at the vast army of unemployed and unsuitably employed men around him. He fears that he may soon join this army, and the days of youthful freedom will soon come to an end. And these days, too, he is not as free and happy as he seems to be at first sight.

Joyous and Hopeful: The life of a student has many joys and its most important feature is its hopefulness. Except for determined shirkers, all students have the excitement of learning new things day by day, year by year. Failures are depressing no doubt, but there are successes too, and every success marks a definite stage of progress. The pleasure of new learning and the confidence that it produces are enough compensation for all worries and troubles.

Intellectual Progress: This intellectual progress is no doubt the happiest feature of a student’s life.

Love and comradeship: But there are other pleasures and excitements, too. In youth, men and women are warm-hearted, and they have no axe to grind, that is to say, there is little scope for the play of selfish instincts. That is why students form very warm friendships, friendships that often last through life. Students pass the larger part of the day, attend­ing the same classes, reading the same books, sharing the same amusements, participating in the same pranks, and this draws them to one another and binds them with ties of love and comradeship.

Idealism: Student life is also marked by a deep idealism. As pointed out before, in youth men are away from the hard struggle of life; they do not know how ideals fly away at the touch of reality. They have hope and courage, and they want to make the world better. Whenever there is a famine or a flood, it is easy to enlist the services of students. They are here, there and everywhere, trying to do their little bit for suffering humanity.

Forefront in progressive movements: Students are followers but it is they who are in the forefront of progressive movements, in India and all over the world. It is good to see the beaming in their faces.

Team spirit: An important feature of student life is the sense of team-spirit. Students are young men and women full of high spirits. They organize socials, musical soirees, dramas, cultural festivals and sports and games. If we go to the football ground, we find that the majority of players and spectators are students. Men work by themselves and look to their own interests. But students are always for their class, their school or college and their team. It is this loyalty that makes all their ventures enjoyable. If we go to see a students’ match, the shouts and cries of the enthusiastic spectators are often more interesting than the skill of the players.

Limited period: Student life is a period of preparation. Students may join politics, they may take part in sports and games or they may engage themselves in other extra academic acti­vities but they must know that all these are not ends in themselves but part of a training that will fit them for the greater work of life. They must not lose themselves in these other activities in which they can take part in a spirit of detachment. These may be good in their own way, but these must not be allowed to absorb all their energies.